Traveling in Vietnam is a fantastic experience! The people are friendly, getting around is easy and the food is delicious. Plus, travel in Vietnam is not expensive at all! Curious about the costs of a trip to Vietnam?
Check the infographic for our Vietnam travel budget and a detailed breakdown of our Vietnam costs.
This post contains affiliate links.
Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Vietnam travel budget
Vietnam on a budget
How much does it cost to travel Vietnam: important facts and figures
• I traveled with my husband, all Vietnam travel costs are for the two of us together.
• We spent a month in Vietnam, traveling from the North to the South, you can find our itinerary here.
• I quote prices in Vietnam Dong (VND) as well as € and $. Obviously the exchange rate varies from day to day, but when we were in Vietnam (March/April 2015) €1 was approx. 25000VND and $1 was around 22200VND.
• In total, we spend 44 million VND / (€1764 / $1986 in the 30 days we were in the country. This comes down to a budget per day of 1.470.000VND / €59 / $66 per day. This includes all expenses in Vietnam plus transportation costs for the trip from Phu Quoc, (Vietnam) to Kampot (Cambodia). It does not include the plane ticket from Manila to Hanoi.
Vietnam budget travel
Our Vietnam budget is divided into four categories
1. Accommodation: 18% of our daily travel budget
2. Transportation: 22% of our daily travel budget
3. Food&Drinks: 39% of our daily travel budget
4. Paid activities: 17% of our daily travel budget
These categories add up to 95%, the other 5% is attributed to the $45 1-month single entry visa that we bought to enter Vietnam ($90 for two people, which comes down to $3/€2,7/66700VND a day).
1. Best budget accommodation in Vietnam
During our one month trip in Vietnam we spent 7.852.250VND / €314 / $354 in total on accommodation, which comes down to 261.742VND / €10,50 / $11,80 per day. We stayed in private rooms with our own bathroom, often breakfast was included!
In the table below you can find the places I stayed at (only the ones I recommend!), you can find more details about the accommodation in our Vietnam itinerary.
|Hanoi||Hanoi Serenity Hotel||€27/$30||Agoda||Booking|
|Tam Coc||Tuan Ngoc Hotel||€15/$17||Agoda||Booking|
|Hue||Charming Riverside Homestay||€12/$13||Agoda||Booking|
|Hoi An||Jolie Villa Homestay||€10/$11||Agoda||Booking|
|Hoi An||Sac Xanh Homestay||€8/$9||Agoda||Booking|
|Dalat||Cam Ly Homestay||€10/$11||Agoda||Booking|
|Ho Chi Minh||Thao Nhi Hotel||€14/$16||Agoda||Booking|
|Phu Quoc island||Kinh Bac Hotel||€21/$24||Agoda||Booking|
2. Cheap transport in Vietnam
In total we spent 9.480.000VND / €379 / $427 on transportation, on average 316.000VND / €12,60/ $14,20 per day.
Check our complete itinerary to read more detailed information about getting from A to B. We traveled by night train, taxi, plane, bus, bike and more!
3. Cost of food and drinks in Vietnam
In total we spent 17.145.000VND / €686 / $772 on food and drinks, on average 571.500VND / €23/ $25,70 a an average travel day.
The food in Vietnam is fantastic! Everything is fresh, you can add spices if you like, eat soup for breakfast, lunch and dinner and find delicious smoothies on every corner. Banh Mi was another favorite of mine.
4. Activities in Vietnam
The fourth component of our Vietnam cost of travel is the activities we did during our trip.
In total we spend 7.613.000VND / €305 / $343 on paid activities, which comes down to 253.767VND / €10,20 / $11,40 a day. Activity costs include things like museum tickets, tours, bike rental, etc.
Vietnam on a budget: in conclusion
These are the most important costs to take into account when you are traveling in Vietnam. As you can see Vietnam is a very budget-friendly destination and totally worth a trip!
I found Vietnam an intriguing country with a very interesting history, beautiful temples and pagodas, friendly people and delicious food.
You can download the infographic with all the information about our Vietnam trip budget below. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to leave a comment!
This post was updated in April 2020.