Cambodia, the country with such a heartbreaking past… It made a lasting impression on me, every time I think about my time there I still feel the weight of its terribly sad history. I’ll be writing more about Cambodia in the coming weeks, for now I’ll share with you my budget breakdown.
Cambodia travel budget: budget breakdown
Cambodia travel budget: important facts and figures
• I traveled Cambodia with my husband, all expenses mentioned are for the two of us together.
• I quote prices in $ as this is the currency that is used most in Cambodia. For payments smaller than $1 you’ll get change in Cambodian Riel, $1 is about 4000 riel. Unfortunately for everybody from Europe, including myself, the € has been decreasing steadily and €1 is worth only slightly more than $1. Therefore I don’t quote prices in €, it’s now pretty much the same as the $ ;-).
• In total we spent $585 in 8 days, which comes down to an average of $73 a day.
• All expenses in Cambodia are included, plus the transportation costs for the trip from Siem Riep to Bangkok.
Our Cambodia expenses are divided into four categories
1. Accommodation: 16% of our daily travel costs
2. Transportation: 14% of our daily travel costs
3. Food & Drinks: 39% of our daily travel costs
4. Paid activities: 19% of our daily travel costs
These categories add up to 88%, the other 12% is attributed to the $35 1-month single entry visa that we bought to enter Cambodia. Officially the visa costs $30…
But there is a $5 corruption fee levied at the border. Yes, I am strongly against corruption, bribing, etc. But I paid the $5 per visa extra anyway because I did want to enter Cambodia… Perhaps that makes me a bad person:-(. Anyway, I digress…
The total for two people was $70, which comes down to $9 a day. Better to stay in a country a bit longer, to spread the visa costs over more days;-).
1. Cost of accommodation in Cambodia
In total we stayed at three hotels and spent $96 in 8 days, the average price per night was $12. In the table below you can find the places I stayed at. You can read more about these hotels in my Cambodia itinerary.
|Phnom Penh||Diamond Palace II||€14,50/$16||Agoda||Booking|
|Siem Riep||Overflow Guesthouse||€13,20/$14,50||Agoda||Booking|
2. Cost of transport in Cambodia
Our total transportation costs were $80, so $10 on an average travel day. Check out our complete Cambodia itinerary to read more about getting around and which places you can’t miss on your Cambodia trip!
In general: the faster you travel, the higher your average daily transportation costs. It’s better to stay put every once in a while if you want to stick to your budget;-)
3. Cost of food & drinks in Cambodia
In total we spent $224 on food and drinks, on average $28 a day. I think 90% was spent on Amok, a delicious traditional Khmer dish that is one of my favorite dishes off all times! I actually cook Amok on a regular basis now that I am back in the Netherlands. It tastes pretty good, though never as good as in Cambodia…
Nope, the dish pictured above is not Amok! I cannot believe I do not have one single picture of my favorite dish! Probably because I ate it all before I could get my camera out. This noodle soup was pretty tasty as well though!
The other 10% was probably spent on fresh smoothies… Hmm, smoothies, so jummie!
4. Cost of paid activities in Cambodia
Total costs for paid activities came to $112, a daily average of $14.
Which activities did we do for $114?
Well, we rented a scooter and went exploring around Bokor, Kampot and Kep. We watched the movie ‘The Killing Fields’ in Ecran Movie House in Kampot. A private cinema! Well, a room with a big TV, but the movie is a must see when you are in or going to Cambodia no matter how and where you watch it.
In Phnom Penh we went to the Tuol Sleng Museum and the Choeung Ek Killing Fields, I found difficult to find the right words to write about these visit which is why I made a photo essay about the heartbreaking history of Cambodia instead…
And in Siem Riep we didn’t really do anything… Just kidding, obviously we went to Angkor Wat!
That’s pretty much it, all our Cambodia travel expenses! Cambodia was a little more expensive for us than the other countries in Southeast Asia we visited. You can compare our Cambodia travel costs with my budget breakdown posts for the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia and Thailand.
The main reason for these slightly higher costs is that we only spent a week in Cambodia. Plus Euro isn’t putting up a good fight against Dollar which also did not help our travel budget.
Still, daily costs of living are definitely higher in the Netherlands… And temperatures are much lower. So go to Cambodia, let its history impress you and its people even more. And eat loads of Amok!